"If I'd only thought of something charming to say... this is the sound of settling."

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Honesty

The other day we were discussing marrying the right person at the right time in my marriage and family relationship class and the professor presented the question to the class if a girl had previously been sexually active but had repented of it, should she or should she not tell her fiancĂ© about those previous experiences. She had repented of those sins so does she have to tell him? I just automatically thought to myself, "of course she should tell him." I mean, yes, she has repented of those sins, they are no longer in the sight of the Lord but I still think that the person that you are about to marry for all time and eternity should know about those past experiences. Should he not? Some of the key aspects that make a marriage successful are honesty and communication. If you are already not willing to tell your future husband something that serious that you did in past how is that going to effect your marriage a few years down the road? And he is going to find out later whether you tell him or not. So I just figured that everyone else would think the same way. But to my amazement half of the class voted that they thought that she shouldn't tell him. I was just absolutely shocked by this. I never would have thought that someone would consider going into a marriage not sharing something like that with their future spouse. Especially something as sacred as the breaking of the law of Chasity which the Lord says is the second worse sin just behind murder. Am I wrong for thinking this? It has just been bothering me all week and I can't stop thinking about it. 

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting topic, and here's my two cents about it. If he truly believes the atonement is real, then why is it necessary for him to know? If she had repented, and that's good enough for the Lord to remember them no more, Why should that be different for the guy she's going to marry? Is he above the Lord? Also, if that is something that is in the past, and has been properly taken care of, what right does he have to bring up that hurtful nightmare again? Why would you make her relive that? Also, for your own safety, why would you want to know? If you saw a picture of the two of them, by chance, you would not be able to get that image out of your mind. Would that sacred experience between the two of you then be tainted by the memory of that image? Would you be insecure about it because you felt you had to know that detail, which has been properly taken care of by the right authority? What would it benefit you to actually know? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete